7 May 2013

THE VINEYARD HOTEL AND SPA



With over 200 years of history within its walls, this deluxe 4* 207 roomed hotel is situated in six acres of attractive landscaped parkland on the banks of the Liesbeek River, located in the lush leafy suburb of Newlands,Cape Town.Originally built in 1799 as a single storey home for Lady Anne Barnard. The hotel has so much to offer both the tourist and business traveller, but I was here for the food...


The famous fountain




The hotel is home to several top class restaurants and The Square is where I had lunch yesterday with a friend. We sat out on their wonderful garden terrace,which has the most stunning views over the gardens and the mountain made a breathtaking backdrop to our lazy, relaxed lunch.




My friend opted for the Braised Durbanville Pork Belly
with a crackling crust and a sauté of chickpeas, cherry tomatoes,
spinach and baby onions, apple rosemary chutney.
R98
Obviously I had to taste hers and it was delicious 
and a "must order" for any pork and crackling lovers!





I ordered their Battered Fish and Chips
with tartare sauce and fresh lemon
R92
I know this doesn't sound like a very exciting choice, but it is, one of their most popular lunchtime dishes and after tasting I can understand why!
The fish was cooked to perfection..
The service was slick and efficient, as you would expect and
this will be on my list of revisits, when I am next in Cape Town...



The beautiful indigenous gardens are home to prolific bird life
and two rather famous tortoises,Herbert and Gloria. 







2 comments:

  1. My grandparents got married there, I dressed for my wedding and spent my wedding night there, my sister in law had her bridal shower there, and my family goes there for every special occasion! It is a special place for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is many happy memories....I have visited before but never eaten or lingered...it was such a calm and peaceful setting!

    ReplyDelete