3 December 2013

THE OYSTER BOX HOTEL - OCEAN TERRACE RESTAURANT {REVIEW}






One of my favourite places to go for a sundowner, at any time of the year, is The Oyster Box Hotel in Umhlanga Rocks. This 5* Hotel is part of the International Red Carnation Hotel Collection and commands undoubtedly one of the best views in South Africa.


The Ocean Terrace restaurant overlooks the crystal clear rim flow pool, the infamous Umhlanga Rocks Lighthouse and as though that wasn't stunning enough, the Indian Ocean lies beyond.

SD R70 Still rated "my best"

I have eaten at the hotel often, but this past Sunday we popped into have my usual Strawberry Daiquiri  sundowner and decided to stay and have a light bite to eat. The menu has just recently been changed  meaning that the prices have been increased pre the Holiday season plus my favourite chicken salad has been removed, so I decided to try the Traditional Fish and Chips, as did a "kiddiewink" and my hubby chose the Pukka Lamb Curry toasted sandwich. 


Traditional Fish & Chips R155

Pukka Lamb Curry Toasted Sandwich R140


At this point I must make mention of the price, yes you will hear me moan about paying too much for a terrible meal, but I don't often complain about how much a good meal costs, The fish and chips were excellent, the fish was perfectly battered and cooked and I have no complaints other than the portion was maybe on the small side,but I prefer quality to quantity, 
so what's my problem you may ask....
wait for it....
the Fish & Chips were R155 
and the sandwich, which my hubby said was not worth it,
 was R140.


Our total bill for 3 light dinners with drinks came to R960 including the tip.
I understand it's a 5* hotel, with stunning views, but the local patrons generally earn their money in Rands and not Pounds, Dollars or Euros.
Unfortunately, The Oyster Box as wonderful as it is, is pricing itself out of the local market and
sadly this is becoming too expensive for "Moi" to frequent casually anymore.










No comments:

Post a Comment