28 January 2014

LUPA OSTERIA RESTAURANT {REVIEW}



My hubby and I found ourselves up in Hillcrest this past Saturday,
so this was the perfect time to try Lupa Osteria for lunch.
Having heard so much about this Italian eatery, I was expecting great things!
As you know I am somewhat of a harsh critic when it comes to food, as I want to come away from any eating place with that "I can't wait to go back again" feeling. 
As soon as you enter the large 1st floor restaurant you get that "feel good" factor, as on the left behind glass is the pasta station and on the right is the Parma Ham slicer, which is somehow comforting to know that these guys...
Chris Black & Guy Cluver know their stuff.


Parma Ham slicer


The restaurant has a New York meets Italy kinda vibe and look, with a large feature brick wall. Wine displays are used effectively as room dividers and large floor to ceiling glass windows allow you to view the hustle and bustle of
Old Main Road.





The restaurant was fairly busy, but there were plenty of tables and we were soon seated.
Our table was waited on by two waitrons , one of which was very attentive in an efficient, 
non obtrusive way, whilst the other waitron had attitude. 
As you can imagine this didn't go down too well with me. I couldn't help but feel we were being rushed to order our drinks before we had even sat in our seats.
To be honest he irritated me the whole time we were there.

Onto the food...
The menu is extensive and as always I found it difficult to make my choice, as there were several dishes that took my fancy.

To view menu

I decided to order one of the specials off the fairy light framed chalk board,
which by the way changes weekly.
(The specials change not the fairy lights)

The Gnocchi Fantasia caught my eye, as it was a dish of 2 halves, spicy bolognaise sauce and creamy Gorgonzola and both halves were delicious, but very rich. 
The Gorgonzola sauce was a cheese lovers fantasy hence the name, whilst the bolognaise
sauce was spicy and extremely tasty.
I am still undecided as to which half I preferred.
The food was served in a large bowl and the portion was huge, so much so that I really didn't make much of a dent, but my hubby came to the rescue after he had finished his spicy chicken livers, which he gave a big thumbs up to!
He also gave a thumbs up to the wine menu and the good selection of Craft beers.

                                                     
Gnocchi Fantasia R90


 Spicy Chicken Livers starter R42


What was my verdict on Lupa Osteria?

The food, the atmosphere and the setting were good, so I will over look the "attitude" incident and
I most definitely came away with that
"Can't wait to go back" feeling...which I look forward to some time soon.
Mmmm next week Saturday is looking good!



Shop 18, Lillies Quarter
15 – 18 Old Main Road
Hillcrest

No comments:

Post a Comment