18 February 2014

AURELIA'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT {REVIEW}

This year we decided to go out for a Valentines dinner on the 13th of February rather than on the actual day the 14th....long story, so don't even think or ask why!
I had read and heard some good feedback about a new Italian eatery Aurelia's 
that opened at the Square in Umhlanga at the end of 2013.
The restaurant is situated inside a small office and retail centre and many of the tables are outside on a  wooden deck and it was very pleasant sitting out on a Durban balmy summers evening.
Unfortunately this is where any compliments about Aurelia's ends.

I don't actually know how to write this review as there were so many things that,
to be blunt "p----d us off about this place".
There were only three or four tables occupied, which I understand to a point, as its the night before Valentines day, but any restaurant that is good, is busy most nights of the week. The first thing I noticed was a distinct lack of anyone to greet us and show us to a table, so we awkwardly seated ourselves outside on the deck.
The menus arrived, which were very "tatty and torn", so that didn't create a very good first impression especially as the place has only been open for a few weeks. 
The food on the menu was the normal Italian fare.
The next problem arose with our drinks order, my hubby asked what beers they served and his beer of choice was amongst the many mentioned - Windhoek Draught in a can. After a search the waiter returned to inform my hubby that they didn't have any, which didn't go down too well. Apparently they had ordered but the delivery didn't arrive that day.....which is fair enough, but why allow your stocks to run so low before re ordering?
Lets move onto the food..between us we ordered a starter of Grilled Calamari and Chorizo, which was quite tasty but not worthy of "must try again" comment.

Grilled Calamari & Chorizo Starter R49

Claiming to be authentic Italian food hubby and I ordered Wood fired Pizzas and to be completely honest my Hawaiian Pizza was very bland, as was my husbands Pollo Piccante Pizza, so much so, that he made good use of the bowls of chilli and crushed garlic that they brought to the table...not a good sign!

Hawaiian Pizza R62

Now, this next part of my review is a first and quite baffling, ....
I ordered a small Roquefort Salad at R39 as printed on the menu as opposed to the large salad at R70  ( 2 sizes available for all of their salad options) . The waiter politely informed me that they do not have the small salads...imagine a silence at this point....OK...I was lost for words for a moment or two and then I asked "why is it a problem to do a small salad?"
He promptly replied that they do not have the small bowls to serve a small salad!!!!
At this point all logic had gone out of the window as I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
I ended up ordering a large salad, but again it was an average salad and really nothing to rave about.
During our meal the manager passed by our table and asked if everything was good, I had to bring to his attention the debacle with the salad and the beer. He appeared surprised and offered to charge us the small salad price R39 rather than the large price of R70.
(I would like to know if this has happened to other people, as its a really easy way of upping the food bill)


Roquefort Salad Large R70

You may think that I am joking about the above, but this was really a comedy of errors 
from start to finish. 

As you can sense I won't be returning anytime soon, which is unfortunate as it could have been my local Italian. I wonder if those reviews that I had previously read actually ate at the same restaurant or for that matter even paid!
Maybe I just went on a "bad" night, but unfortunately I don't return to "bad" , as there are too many good eateries out there waiting to present an enjoyable dining experience all in return for my 
good hard earned money.

Aurelia's
The Square
250 Umhlanga Rocks Drive
031 566 2725


This restaurant has since closed down




3 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with this review. We love going here and the service and food has always been good. Possibly you just had a once off bad experience. I am Italian and am extremely wary of Italian restaurants as I know how things should be made. The pizzas are excellent as Italians dont have spicy pizzas. The only thing that doesn't taste traditional is the Tiramisu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, but I can only write about my personal experience with regards to the service and the food on the evening that I went and much to my disappointment, it was far from good! Alas I am very hesitant to return for possibly more of the same!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this review. I just had a meeting at the Square and had been eyeing out Aurelia's for a dinner date ..as I love Italian! I will definitely steer clear of the place as I find poor service and shady pricing a no-go. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete