21 June 2014

SEPHORA - WAS IT MY BEAUTY HEAVEN?

Every Beauty Blogger and beauty addict alike will know of the French brand and chain SEPHORA, but did you know that SEPHORA has been around since 1970, as that's when it opened its first store in Paris and I was lucky enough to visit it last week. Behind this rather insignificant shop front and entrance on the Champs Elysee lies an Aladdin's cave of fragrances,make-up, skincare and all beauty products imaginable. 


Champs Elysee SEPHORA

A walk down the red carpet

As you enter the store and walk down the red carpet, all of your senses are literally bombarded at once...I found my eyes flitting everywhere trying to visually take in as much as possible, I could hear people talking in every conceivable language and the air was filled with a heady mix of so many of the newly launched fragrances..I thought I had entered beauty heaven.....but was it my beauty heaven?
My initial excitement and frenzied state soon settled as I began to realise that this was not the "heaven" as I had first thought. I have been to the SEPHORA in Times Square New York and several around Europe, but this was most definitely the largest and busiest for me and sometimes "busy" and "large" are not always the best! 


A small part of the nail section

You will find all of the well known International brands and to us here in South Africa many of the not so well known. Departments have been created for nails, hair, tanning, just name it and you will find it in its section, so navigating the store was easy. I found the consultants very helpful and knowledgeable about their brand and products and everywhere you turned make-overs, mini-manis and layering events were happening on counter. Fragrance promoters were in abundance and with every few steps I took deeper into the store I was approached by another "cheery well groomed" consultant, asking me to try yet another new fragrance, so be warned , as it does become irritating and distracting after about the twentieth approach...
and I am not joking! 


A beautiful display of J'adore on the Dior counter

A large light box advertising the Dior Addict Fluid Stick

Whilst the cosmetic counters and displays are amazing, the selection of brands is unbelievable and you truly are spoilt for choice, I came away non the wiser about anything new. It was too overwhelming and hectic to gather your thoughts and process any new information and I sincerely doubt its a conducive environment for you to make decisions with regards to expensive skincare and make-up purchases. I would recommend that if you are in Paris and have lots of time and money, as you will need both, then pop in. Sadly I was left feeling like my beauty heaven was not all that it initially seemed and a lot has to be said for the quieter cosmetic stores back in South Africa where you can leisurely buy your products!

P.S For your info.. I was accosted by the security several times for taking photos inside the store, so apologies for so few and the poor quality!





1 comment: