14 August 2015

TASTE OF DURBAN 2015





One of my highlights of 2014 was the food and wine event - Taste of Durban,
 so it was always on my calender for 2015,
as a "must attend" and attend I did over the weekend of 24-26 July.

In true Durban style whenever there's an important outdoor event, whether it be a music concert or International cricket match and yes the Pick n Pay Taste of Durban ranks right up there, the weather doesn't seem to receive the no rain memo.

However nothing was going to deter me from attending this years event, not even the unseasonal Durban winter weather of, low temperatures, gusty winds and lashing rain.
Armed with my rarely used umbrella, winter coat and boots my hubby and I braved the elements and again we both thoroughly enjoyed this not to be missed "foodie" event.

2015 saw a change in the line up of exhibitors and the 8 featured restaurants, whilst some of my firm favourites had returned, several restaurants were making their debut and it all made for an interesting and varied food and wine show.

Just to recap on how the Taste of Durban operates:

Crowns are pre purchased in books of R100. Each Crown is worth R5 and the prices for the starter portion dishes range from 4 to 8 Crowns per dish. Drinks and other foodie items are also purchased with Crowns.
Your entry fee includes a wine tasting glass to sample wines and spirits from the many wineries and companies on display.
There are 5 sessions over the 3 days, which last between four and five hours giving you plenty of time to eat, drink, shop, watch a demonstration or relax to the sound of the live music. 
Some words of advice, go with an empty tummy , wear comfy shoes and take plenty of cash or plastic to buy those important Crowns.

Despite the awful weather there was plenty of warming food, drink and foot tapping music happening that the weather was soon forgotten.
I'm unable to mention everything I indulged in on the day, but below are a few of my standout "faves"  in the foodie department.

I based myself this year at the Castle Milk Stout marquee, as it not only offered great shelter but the most wonderful food to compliment their variety of Milk Stouts.
This is where my hubby came into his own and he vouched for the Chocolate infused milk stout and gave it a thumbs up and has since become a convert.




Unfortunately Milk Stout isn't my drink of choice despite the presence of chocolate, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the truly delicious dishes that they had created using Castle Milk Stout.
The "Delish" Goulash and mash was a perfect winter's day warmer followed by a rich chocolate brownie and caramel chocolate mousse, needless to say all were devoured and the caramel pud was eaten in haste hence, no pic!


   

Castle Milk Stout Beef Goulash
Chocolate Milk Stout infused Chocolate Brownie

Chicken Tikka Masala from Chef Kannai Das Palki was most
 enjoyable and got my tastebuds excited.

Lamb Crostillant from newcomer Boiler Room - Chef GrahamNielson was a
 "have to taste again" dish.

Chef Steven Kruger- Beluga's selection of Sushi got a thumbs up from my 
16 year old sushi expert "Kiddiewink"

Chef Jackie Cameron- Jackie Cameron School of Food & Wine
 Perfectly cooked and flavoursome Butternut and Biltong Risotto 
has to be my "Best in show"

Chef Justin Oliver - Vigour&Verve Butter Chicken &
a glass Wildekrans Merlot 


I personally enjoyed the selection of restaurants and the food that the talented chefs showcased this year more so than 2014, as I really couldn't fault any of the dishes that I tasted and I tasted many, whereas previously I found a couple of dishes didn't replicate well in the outdoor situation.

This annual premier Durban "Foodie" event is one not to be missed in 2016 and I'm already
salivating at the thought of it....can't wait.

Oh I forgot to mention, as though we hadn't eaten enough, we took home a box of
 Wicked Donuts...how could we not?

Wicked Donuts






No comments:

Post a Comment