17 December 2013

THE FACTORY CAFE {REVIEW}




It seems like this past week I have purposely been focusing on reviewing coffee shops, but I can assure you neither of my visits were planned to either Bellevue Cafe  To read review 
or The Factory Cafe.
Several months ago I met a special friend at The Factory Cafe and I have been wanting to return for lunch and that day finally arrived last week with the same friend.

Now don't expect to find this place on the tourist or even coffee shop route, as its inside The Colombo Coffee & Tea factory situated on a busy main road in the industrial area of Congella, Durban, South Africa and is somewhat difficult to find.




The Colombo Coffee & Tea is actually a Roastery and Barista Training centre that houses the award winning Factory Cafe.The Factory is one of South Africa's only coffee destinations that doubles as an entertainment space and music venue. Fresh roasted coffee, exclusive teas & light meals for breakfast and lunch.
You sit amongst the roasting equipment and can literally smell the coffee... It's vibey, busy and just a different kinda place and great for people watching.
As you would imagine they have a great selection of both teas and coffees, which can all be purchased on site. A small food selection is available and it changes daily, but can be only found on the chalk board on the door, so a little advice...don't close the door as you enter the first floor of the factory.


Don't close the chalk board menu door

I ordered a very "delish" garlic and sage roasted chicken open sandwich with, a never had before, homemade Basil Mayo.....the combination of flavours worked really well on the slightly toasted ciabatta  bread. As you can imagine not a crumb was left on my plate and this "sarmie" alone would be enough to warrant a speedy return. Not being a coffee or tea drinker....sad I know, I am unable to comment on the bean and leaf beverages, but judging by the regulars and the newcomers around me, this is a tea and coffee lovers paradise.


R40 Garlic & Sage Roast Chicken "Sarmie"

However, my next visit will be with my hubby who is a coffee expert and feedback will be given.
I, on the other hand, will have to be content with tasting their Cocoa bean....so roll on winter!







367, Magwaza Maphalala (Gale Street)
Congella
Durban

Opening hours:
Mon - Fri 7.30- 4.30
Sat - 8.30 - 2.00




No comments:

Post a Comment