19 September 2013

REMO'S VILLAGGIO {REVIEW}



Remo’s was born in May 2007 in memory of the late Remo Giuseppe Scribante. His brothers, “Fratelli”, Franco and Renzo Scribante opened their first café in Mount Edgecombe, Durban.





Renzo had a passion for food and cafes his whole life. He spent time from an early age cooking with his mother in the kitchen and cleaning the tables at Sunday lunches. What started out as a small café with a limited menu has now turned into an established company fuelled by passion. 

The Remo’s Originale (Mount Edgecombe Store) is now a bustling restaurant and bar very well known for its quality of food. 
In 2012 Remo’s expanded and the much anticipated Villaggio store was opened in Umhlanga Village.
 This charming,upmarket and exciting venue is open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner.




I must make mention here of the Italian Panetteria (bakery) which is adjoining the restaurant and is very cute little shop, but I will blog about this on another occasion.


This is only the second time I have eaten at the Remo's in Umhlanga due to the fact, that they are always fully booked in the evenings,so I highly recommend booking a table in advance.

Be aware that the menu is extensive and it really does take some time to read through it, as always when I am confronted with a huge variety of dishes, I found myself chopping and changing my mind, many times.
I finally ordered a Pear and Gorgonzola Salad,which was absolutely delicious, but the key ingredient for me were the broken pieces of peanut brittle scattered over the salad, which elevated this dish into a new realm of  salad deliciousness. The sweetness of the brittle just complimented the cheese and the pear, so well.


Pear and Gorgonzola Salad R75

My hubby and the "Kiddiewinks" all ordered pizzas, which have recently been voted the best in Durban 2013 by the "I love Durban" Online community and again the family all enjoyed theirs. The pizza menu offers some interesting and different topping options. The thin based pizzas are rectangle in shape and are served on a wooden board and have to be the most expensive Pizzas around Durban ranging from
 R72 for a basic Funghi to R140 for the GiGi seafood pizza.


Carne Pizza R98

We all opted for "puds" and Chocolate Brownies with ice cream were the most popular choice and I ordered a Creme Brûlée. The Choc brownies were rich and a hit, whilst my Creme Brûlée on the other hand, was a disaster. It arrived with a sugar spun creation on top and looked promising....but that's where it ended! The management dealt with my complaint immediately and efficiently. 
Maybe next time I will also opt the the rich Choc "overload" pud below!



Decadantly rich Chocolate Brownie R35

Creme Brulee


Remo's is proud of its wine list and obviously includes several Italian wines, but my fave cocktail a Strawberry Daiquiri was not on the cocktail menu, so sad face....I did venture out of my "cocktail" box and I tried a long cocktail called
 Aperol Spritz R52
 (Aperol, Prosecco and Orange Juice)
 My SD still remains my first and only true cocktail love.


 Taking into account the decor, the vibe, the service and the great Italian food, the whole dinning experience at Remo's is memorable and I cannot wait to return for another Pear and Gorgonzola Salad or maybe one of the many home made pasta dishes, or a pizza or even one of their special dishes...
Oh! see I am already undecided about what to order on my next visit,which means many more visits are on the cards..


For those of you living outside of KZN, the brothers do have plans to expand into Johannesburg and possibly Cape Town.


Shop 2/3, Protea Mall
Cnr Lighthouse and Chartwell Drive
(UmhlangaDurban)
031 561 7143



No comments:

Post a Comment