20 March 2016

SUNDAY SAMPLE {LIPIDOL CLEANSING FACE OIL}


I'm so glad you didn't click off when you read the word "oil" in the title of this post, as
I know many of you, like Moi, are not too comfortable with using oil based products. 
Despite this recent trend in both skincare, bodycare and haircare, these types of products are here to stay and are becoming increasingly popular. The use of oils is nothing new and thanks to the help of research and technology we can now dispel the old myth that oils can only be used on very dry skin and need to be avoided by combination or oily skins.

Last week I lifted out from my Sunday Sample jar a sachet sample of a Lipidol Cleansing Face Oil.
 This no frills, simply packaged and affordable brand was launched in South Africa by Union Swiss, the makers of Bio-Oil and their range consists of 6 oil based skincare products. 
The Lipidol range is exclusively sold through Clicks.



Lipidol Cleansing Face Oil R79.95 125mls

This cleansing oil claims to remove dirt and make-up without stripping the skin's natural oily layer. You apply to a dry face and massage, so that the dirt and make-up will bind with the oil. 
Then add a little water and continue massaging. 
The oil emulsifies to form a watery cream and then you just rinse off. 
Despite making fun of the minuscule sample I would have been able to squeeze out enough for two applications, the first dose I used to cleanse my "make up free" skin and the second was going to be used to remove a full face of make up.

My initial dislike of this product was the aroma and whilst it's subtly fragranced with Rosemary (which I normally like) and Niaouli essential oils, I personally didn't like the smell, so we were not off to a good start and unfortunately it didn't get any better. 
The texture of the oiI felt really heavy and unrefined, which was rather surprising, as similar products that I have tried previously have felt lighter and more refined, but I must say they have been high end products and this is the first budget product of this type that I have tried.

Not a lover of using oils around the eye area, I thankfully avoided that area.
Whilst it rinsed off easily and left my skin feeling free from any oil, it wasn't 5 minutes before my skin started to itch and feel uncomfortable. 
This was a new sensation for me, as I do not have a sensitive skin and never have had. 
I can only think that my skin does not react well to budget skin care, as I have always been in a fortunate position to have worked for some of the best skincare houses in the world enabling my skin care regime to be the best it can be.
So I have decided that I really cannot risk using "cheap" skincare products that can upset the balance of my skin, so if it means I am a skincare "snob" then so be it. 

So unfortunately this weeks Sunday Sample review has been a #fail for me and as you can imagine the Lipidol Cleansing Face Oil didn't get a chance to cleanse my face a second time.

Interestingly they claim that the product is suitable for sensitive skin and is non-comedogenic.






2 comments:

  1. I live in Howick Durban do you know if they keep the overnight oil in my area? Please email me on demydemke@dpgprop.co.za or my mobile 0817577256. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, This was a post I wrote a couple of years ago and I don't think Lipidol is available anymore. Thanks Hazel

      Delete