21 September 2013

BREAKFAST AT THE BEVERLY HILLS HOTEL UMHLANGA ROCKS



The 5* Beverley Hills Hotel seems to have been a fixture on the Umhlanga horizon forever. My family first stayed in the hotel back in 1974, on our first visit to South Africa and even back then it was "the" hotel in Durban to stay at. Although many years have passed it still holds fond memories of Christmas's spent swimming and tanning by the pool. (Even at fourteen I was desperate to go back to the cold UK winter with the best tan possible...there was nothing better than having your bronzed skin highlight the pale white skin of your classmates)

Considering the hotel is on my doorstep, I haven't been inside to eat or drink for a couple of years, that was until yesterday, when I was invited to my friends 50th Birthday Breakfast. We sat on the terrace which has five star views across the sparkling pool, past the Umhlanga Rocks Lighthouse and out across the Indian Ocean.




The semi buffet style breakfast is laid out in the Sugar Club dining room and you can choose between Continental at R175 or the full cooked breakfast option for R210. Whilst the buffet comprised of all the usual cereal, fruit and fresh juice and pastry assortment, I was impressed with the continental cold meats, salami and the cheese selection, which I thoroughly enjoyed.



Fresh honey anyone?

Hot breakfasts are ordered and served at the table from the breakfast menu,which includes the normal egg options, bacon, sausage etc etc, but smoked salmon scrambled eggs, various omelettes, minute steak and Scottish kippers are also on offer. The hotels signature breakfast dish is the popular Eggs Benedict, which I must say looked absolutely "delish", as did the smoked salmon scrambled eggs.

The hotel setting, facilities and the food at the Beverly Hills is what you would expect from a hotel that has been awarded five stars year after year, but the staff are the true stars, several of which I am sure have been around since my days of holidaying there. Nothing was too much trouble or effort and what I like is when a waitron anticipates or reads from your body language, what you are needing next.The GM even came to wish the "birthday girl" a Happy Birthday, to me these little touches make all the difference.

I have to admit I love the 5* Oyster Box Hotel next door, but strangely enough I felt a little guilty yesterday as I was sitting overlooking the pool. I have far more memories of my time spent at the Beverly Hills  than at the Oyster Box, yet I have neglected to rekindle those happy memories in favour of making new ones next door. 
As a result, I will be back to visit the Beverly Hills soon and I will take time to "chillax" and reminisce...and try a Strawberry Daiquiri or two. 
Just a thought...could you imagine, if the Beverly Hills SD was to topple the Oyster Boxes SD from its number 1 spot on my Strawberry Daiquiri charts! Now there's a thought....
I will definitely give you feedback as to how it rates..







1 comment: