1 October 2013

VOVO TELO HAS ARRIVED


My blog started out just over a year ago and was primarily about beauty with some smatterings of foodie topics, but recently these smatterings have become more and more, as Umhlanga is fast becoming the foodie hotspot in "Durbs". Now don't get me wrong...I am not complaining, as I love food, so I am in my element trying out all the new eateries that are springing up.




Vovo Telo opened its doors recently in the Umhlanga village and it has caused quite a stir. This concept gave birth in Port Elizabeth and now there are several around the country and this is the first of no doubt many in KZN.
Vovo Telo actually means "Grandfathers Place" in Portuguese 
and I have to say that this 
Artisan bakery /coffee shop / restaurant attracts everybody of all ages including the grandfathers. 





The day I went for lunch with my "bestie" it was very busy both inside and out on the large umbrella covered eating area, but luckily the tables do turn over quickly so we didn't have a long wait.




Vevo Telo has such a lovely continental atmosphere with refrigerated display cabinets, full of yummy goodies, tables displaying baked on the premises breads and pastries and they all looked irresistible. 




As I am sure you will all know by now, I have a very sweet tooth, so it felt as though I had walked into "Patisserie" heaven. For my own selfish reasons my suggestion to anyone that is on a diet, is to just walk on by and don't occupy a valuable table, unless you are prepared to break your diet....
only joking, as they do have salads on the menu,which is what I ordered, but more about that #fail later.

The menu is extensive and I really had great difficulty in deciding what order, but I had no problem when it came to a sweet option for later, as I had spotted beautiful Strawberry tarts going past on plates, so dessert was sorted, now for my main.....

I was trying to be healthy in this regard, especially as my calorie ridden "afters" had already been decided upon, so I opted for a 
Roast Vegetable Salad:


Mixed  greens, butternut, aubergine, mixed peppers, red onion, toasted seeds, cashew nuts, 
Danish feta and a balsamic reduction. 
Served with your choice of bread  
R65

My "bestie" also decided on a healthier option the
 Honey Mustard Chicken Salad:





Honey mustard chicken, Danish feta cheese, roasted mushrooms and avocado on fresh greens, 
toasted seeds and rosa tomatoes.
Served with their own homemade vinaigrette and your choice of bread.
 R62

The salads are a good portion and my besties chicken salad was a hit with her, but unfortunately mine was a "miss" on two counts. I'm sorry to say that the Danish feta failed to make it to my plate, but I did get an unwanted double, if not triple helping of the treacle like balsamic reduction, which was very bitter, overpowering and frankly ruined my salad.


 The problem was dealt with professionally and quickly and it was agreed that someone in the kitchen had been far too heavy handed, so it was on to choice number two. I decided to forget the "Hoption" (healthy option) and order a Pissaladiere, which is a thin crusted pizza base made from Ciabatta dough. There are several topping combo's to choose from and this one grabbed my attention.



Four Cheese with Crispy Gypsy Ham, mascarpone, bocconcini mozzarella, gorgonzola,
 parmesan, caramelised onion and rocket.
  R75

It was absolutely delicious and the distinct flavours of each cheese was very evident and I would highly recommend to any cheese lovers.





Vevo Telo has both a daytime and evening menu which are both very similar and I cannot wait to take my "hubby" along one evening. Amongst many other things on the menu , I spotted an assortment of Hot Chocs , so I guess, I will be returning during the day. Vevo Telo is a working bakery and I also bought a ciabatta stick to take home...
You may be wondering why I have made no mention of the strawberry tart....wait for it cue the sad face...they had sold out by the time I placed my order.
Oh well it seems like Vevo Telo will be my second home for a while despite the salad and strawberry tart fail....I would recommend anyone visiting Umhlanga to pop in for either a coffee, pastry, sandwich or a more substantial meal, soak up the atmosphere and watch the world go by in the centre of Umhlanga village.


Shop 9
 Lighthouse Mall,
14 Chartwell Drive
Umhlanga 
031 561 6593






No comments:

Post a Comment