The Shongweni Farmers Market is held every Saturday from 6.30am - 11.30am and was started back in 1998. Initially just 12 stalls selling food and fresh produce, it was located on a field belonging to the Shongweni Polo Club which is in the far outer west region of Durban. From humble beginnings the market grew rapidly, attracting stall holders and customers from far and wide initially starting with 12 stalls and now has more than 150 of which over 80 are food and fresh produce related. Others are selling a variety of proudly South Africa home industry arts and crafts, too numerous to mention.
I hang my head in shame whilst I write this post as despite being relatively local and having been advised to pay the market a visit on numerous occasions... I finally made the trek up the highway and went to have a look for myself.
This market was one of the very few where my hubby was totally engrossed, as there were plenty of stalls to interest him and with live music playing and craft beers to try,
he was very happy.
Shongweni is also a doggie friendly market and the pooches are well catered for and made to feel very welcome, as are the kids.
This market is by far the best in KZN and is truly a family market and I can't wait to return.
Some tips when a visiting the market:
1. Its advisable to arrive as early as possible armed with a shopping basket.
2. Wear layers, as it can be chilly, but it soon warms up, so some peeling off of clothes is to be expected
3. Wear comfy shoes.
4. Allow plenty of time to leisurely browse, as the market is far larger than I anticipated.
5. Go with an empty tummy as you really are spoilt for choice when it comes to food and drink whether it's for breakfast, tea time snack or brunch.
6. Take a cooler box in the boot of the car, so you can keep those take away food/drink purchases chilled.
7. Take plenty of money either in the form of cash or credit cards, as you will be tempted by all the goodies on sale.
8. Don't worry about the safety of parking the car as the parking is well organised and very close to the market.
9. Also if it rains shopping can continue as all of the stalls are under cover.
10. Lastly enjoy this lovely market that oozes charm, ambiance and friendliness.
To find out more then visit
I will now let my pics do the rest