1 July 2015

JAMIE'S ITALIAN - COVENT GARDEN {REVIEW 2105}




I have always been a fan of the "Naked Chef" and can you believe its 20 years since this cheeky young Essex boys face first appeared on our tv screens.
He has launched too many books to mention, appeared more times on tv than I have had hot dinners and has numerous restaurant ventures in every corner of the world, except SouthAfrica!

Jamie’s Italian was founded in Oxford in 2008 and it has grown to more than 30 restaurants worldwide, and on my recent trip to London I popped into the Covent Garden eatery for a late lunch with my eldest "Kiddiewink". 
Don't expect all Jamie's Italians to look the same, as each restaurant is tastefully and sympathetically 
decorated to suit the area they are located in, so the Covent Garden branch was vibey, full of energy and very busy.





Jamie’s Italian 
is inspired by Jamie’s passion for the Italian way of life and he says it best:

“Since I was a teenager I’ve been totally besotted by the love, passion and verve for food, family and life itself that just about all Italian people have, no matter where they’re from or how rich or poor they might be. And that’s what I’m passionate about – good food for everyone, no matter what… But the thing I love most about the Italians is that somehow, although they have some of the best fashion designers and cars in the world, they’ve managed to retain a unique sense of tradition and village spirit Our menu is rooted in authenticity. We’re all about fantastic, rustic dishes created using tried and tested recipes. Jamie’s friend and mentor, Gennaro Contaldo, has added substance to what is now the essence of Jamie’s Italian – tradition combined with current, innovative ideas and a Jamie twist.




The selection of food on offer (They only use fresh, carefully sourced and seasonal ingredients to make beautiful, rustic dishes) posed a real problem for me, quite spoiled for choice it took me some time due to many re reads of the menu and chopping and changing my mind, which I may say is totally out of character pour "Moi".

Eventually I decided on:

Our Famous Prawn Linguine 
£13.50

Fried garlicky prawns, fennel, tomatoes, chilli, saffron, fish broth & lemony rocket.

I was thrilled with my choice, as the chilli gave the al dente pasta and tender prawns the perfect amount of warmth with no overkill...delicious and I would re order.

Our Famous Prawn Linguine


The "Kiddiewink" went for one of Jamie's signature dishes:

Squid and Mussel Spaghetti Nero 
£11.95

Squid-ink pasta, flash-fried squid & mussels with slow-cooked, tender octopus, capers, anchovies, tomatoes & white wine.

He raved about it, but I'm not a lover of all things fishy and I have to admit the appearance of the black pasta unfortunately didn't do it for me.


Squid & Mussel Spaghetti Nero


Now onto the desert options, which all vied for my attention but this got both our votes.


Epic Brownie
£5.95

Warm fudgy brownie with vanilla ice cream & caramelised popcorn.

We decided to share, as we thought epic would mean large, however I could have eaten it all quite easily on my own. 
Whilst it was enjoyable I wouldn't opt for it again, but rather work through the other tempting puds on offer.


Epic Brownie



There is no doubt that both the service is slick and professional and the food is well cooked and presented, but I did come away feeling slightly short changed on the portion sizes and I know for sure that they wouldn't have satisfied my hubby.

I won't even mention the final price of my bill in Rands, but hey 

"when in London..do what all "Jamie Fans" do and visit Jamie's Italian"...


Jamie's Italian, Covent Garden
11 Upper St Martin's Lane
London
WC2H 9FB
02033266390 

Monday-Saturday

12 noon-11pm

Sunday 

12 noon-10:30pm






2 comments: