6 November 2019

DYSON SUPERSONIC HAIRDRYER {REVIEW}

My trusty hairdryer of the last 20 years sadly went to "hairdryer heaven" recently and I was left with a big decision to make.

*This is where you need to grab a drink and get comfy, as this is a long detailed review.

Some may not understand this, but for me, not having a hairdryer is a major beauty crisis, as without drying my hair and then using my Glampalm straighteners
  my hair would be a frizzy, wavy, tangled mess and simply put "not a pretty sight".

Luckily I had been considered buying a new hairdryer, so I had done my research and it was blaringly obvious that whilst the shape had not changed, the technology had improved greatly since my vintage hairdryer came onto the scene, which made me even more concerned about the damage to my hair from my old hairdryer.

So I took the plunge and invested in a Dyson Supersonic Hairdryer 
and I say invested, as considering its very hefty price tag, it's definitely an investment.

Best known for their unique and innovative vacuum cleaners the Prestige brand Dyson entered the world of beauty with this hairdryer several years ago and at the time is was a ground breaking addition to the world of hairdryers. Having read and watched many reviews on Youtube I decided that this would be my best option for reducing heat damage and many of its features appealed to me.
I also learnt that you do not use the dryer without a nozzle attached.

As you would expect from any Dyson product, its all white outer packaging is sleek, 
simple yet quality and for the price I would expect nothing less.
(Opening my box was very reminiscent of opening my first iphone)

The Dyson Supersonic's hair dryer comes with a smoothing nozzle, styling concentrator, diffuser, non-slip heat proof mat and storage hanger. I opted for the Silver and White version, but other colours are available including the more infamous Fuchsia Pink colour The hairdryer also comes with a 2 year Guarantee.


There are 4 easy to use control/settings buttons:

 On/Off Slide 

3 Speed Control Settings
(Fast Drying, Regular Drying and Styling)

3 Precise Heat Settings
100c Fast Drying and Styling
80c Regular Drying
60c Gentle Drying and Scalp mode 

Cold Shot  

So what else is different about the Dyson, that makes it stand out heads above the rest.
The most important feature for me was the Dyson Supersonic's technology, as it allows for faster, more precise drying, while producing minimum noise due to acoustic silencers. 
It measures the air temperature 20 times every second, it controls heat distribution to reduce damage and protect your hair. 
Overall this is what sold the product to me, however there are many other worthwhile features that need also need to be mentioned.
After 3 months of use I have included my findings etc. in pink below each feature.


Built in Heat Protection for Natural Shine
Intelligent heat control measures heat temperature over 40 times a second, preventing heat extreme heat damage and helping protect your hair’s natural shine.
My hair to the touch, whilst still feeling hot,wasn't as hot as with my previous hairdryer and the temperature appeared to remain more constant with the Dyson.


Fast Drying Controlled Styling
The Dyson digital motor V9 combined with Air Multiplier™ technology produces a high velocity jet of controlled air, for fast drying and controlled styling.
I was super impressed with the speed of which my hair was dried and ultimately cuts down on heat exposure time and that's a huge plus for me.

Engineered for Balance
Dyson have turned convention on its head and put the motor in the handle. Completely rebalancing the dryer's weight and shape.
I enjoyed the feel of this rebalance, as it meant that the hairdryer wasn't top heavy at all,as the weight is in the handle that you hold. One point I must mention here,my hand sometimes unintentionally moved lower down the handle and I found myself partially covering the upper air vents.


Magnetic Attachments
Only the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer comes with magnetic attachments - so you easily adjust quickly and easily.
This is a great feature of the Dyson and its super easy to twist the nozzle around even when in use, so as to blow-dry the hair downwards creating smooth hair cuticles that ultimately give a smoother shinier finish.
On a side note, the click of the magnet is a most satisfying sound.


Acoustically Tuned
The powerful motor is tuned to produce one inaudible frequency. And it’s enveloped by a vibration reduction system.
Obviously my ear isn't on the same frequency here, as I was surprised by how much noise  it did make considering the above, however its not necessarily the noise from the motor but more from the air blowing, but it beats my old one any day, so it isn't a problem.
I don't feel any vibration whatsoever, so there's no more shaking arm workouts for me.

Dyson Smoothing Nozzle
Dry and style at the same time.
Delivers smooth, wide airflow for a smooth finish. It helps to create a sleek, natural finish, by using controlled airflow alone.
I find that I use this nozzle most often to do my quick overall dry.
It does leave my hair smoother, less frizzy and fly-away and for the first time ever I could leave my hair as is,with no further styling, but I always feel the need to tweak and straighten certain parts.



Dyson Styling Concentrator 
Airflow precisely where you need it.
Fast, precise airflow for controlled styling. So you can style one section at a time without disturbing the rest.
This nozzle works well for those times I don't want to use my hair straighteners after drying, but I want to add some volume, lift or under curl.
It doesn't disturb the rest of your styled hair with blasts of air.




Dyson Diffuser 
Engineered to disperse air evenly, helping to define curls and waves. It simulates natural drying, helping to reduce frizz for improved definition. Longer prongs allow you to style your hair with greater control – and reach deeper into the hair.
I haven't used this nozzle, so can't comment.





As I said earlier had had done my homework both on the virtues of the hairdryer itself
and the pricing.
Having checked the retail websites here in South Africa,Dubai and in the the UK I soon came to realise, that with all Dyson products, there are very few discounts or special offers to be found.
I purchased mine online from Retailbox,as I found them to be the cheapest.
Most retailers had it priced at R5999, whilst Retailbox was R5099.

Now for the crunch question 
"Is it worth the money?"
There is no doubt that DYSON is a quality product and this hairdryer took over 4 years to design and make.There are several nozzles that I don't use, which seems a waste of money, but sadly this is always the case when purchasing a hairdryer.
Despite enjoying the hairdryer and having no regrets about buying, as it's gentler on my hair and speeds up the whole drying and styling process, 
it is overpriced!
It's pretty much double the price of other premium hairdryers e.g.GHD and whilst the technology and motor of the DYSON is profoundly different, I suspect that the top of the range GHD offers the same or very similar benefits to the hair as the DYSON.

Hopefully this will be the last hairdryer I will ever buy, as DYSON products are built 
to last and if my previous "cheap n cheerful" can survive 20 years, I'm expecting this expensive Dyson hairdryer to last as long, but only time will tell.

I hope my honest review will help you if you're considering a purchase and let me know
 if you have already have DYSON, as I would love to hear your thoughts 
in the comments below.


DYSON 
SUPERSONIC 
HAIRDRYER 

R
Suggested Retail R5,999
Retailbox R5,099

 Dyson on special at mark
4th - 24th December
R4,999.00

£
299.99


$
399.99






4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous!! I tried one for a trial period and it was very hard letting it go. Enjoy! PS Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a nice comment, that must have been hard for you...:)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great review....I've looked at them a few times...nice to get an honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thanks for leaving your lovely comment...

      Delete