11 March 2013

AIR TRAVEL AND ME {PART 1}



Here I am again flying from Durban to Cape Town and as I look out of the window I realise that I have had, more than my fair share of air travel. Thinking of all the wonderful places that I have visited, is sometimes overshadowed by the trails and tribulations of getting there...

Being born under the sign of the Sagittarian, who are born travellers by the way, means that I love any form of Romany adventure, whether it be by car, plane, bicycle or even on foot. As a child I was very fortunate to travel to many places around the world with my parents and being taken out of school for many of the trips, did wonders for my overall education.After all the world is one giant classroom and no prizes for guessing which subject was my favourite, it also just happened to be the subject I excelled in..yes! geography. I loved the subject, mainly because I had a been and experienced most places and cultures and as they say it was "easy peasy" pour moi...

Through the eyes of a naive child, I imagined how wonderful it would be to travel the world for free and there the "seed" was planted...I would become an Air Hostess! (That's what they were called back then) After all I had observed them on many occasions "strutting their stuff" with their coiffed hair,nails painted beautifully and red lipstick....how glamorous and how easy....

In my final year at school I wrote to all the airlines (no e-mails then) and the same message came back....candidates with a qualification to fall back on, would be considered before those that had no qualification. Ok! so a qualification I would get, but what? After listening to a career talk given by a beauty therapist, I decided this would be a good choice and I enrolled at a Technical college for a three year full time course to become a hairdresser and beauty therapist.
Unfortunately after obtaining my qualifications, my family and I emigrated to South Africa and that put paid to my hopes of becoming that "glam" Air Hostess....
But on the bright side, one big adventure awaited me in South Africa.

To be Continued....


No comments:

Post a Comment