21 May 2020

THE ORDINARY AHA 30% + BHA 2% PEELING SOLUTION {REVIEW} #TBT REVIEW


This post was written back in December 2017 and I'm happy to say that
I still enjoying this peeling Solution from The Ordinary.
I replenish my stocks with every trip overseas and in my opinion this is
the best product from The Ordinary that I have tried to date.
Being a huge believer in weekly exfoliation I also alternate with several other 
exfoliators, so I don't rely just on this one product.
 I have a variety that I switch between depending on how me and my skin are feeling
at the time, I call it my "Exfoliator Wardrobe" and I highly recommend 
everyone to have 
one...

NB. Prices may have changed since my original review

~~~~~~


The Ordinary has been "The" Skincare brand of 2017 and has Internationally
 received mixed reviews on performance, but on price no one has complained.
To find out more about the origins of this purse friendly brand
then read my haul post below to bring 
yourself up to speed with this "newbie" on the block.
(However I do still have two products to review)






Being a huge fan of exfoliators, peels etc. 
the AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution from The Ordinary 
was top of my beauty shopping list on my recent trip to the UK.

My "Rule of thumb" has been to exfoliate once a week and after 40 years,
 this rule has served me well. Having always used a mechanical type peel I was 
keen to try a chemical one, but have always been a little unsure as to which
brand and product to opt for.
 Having heard such good reports on this particular product from this no frills,
 affordable skincare range 
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
seemed a logical, cost effective choice.





This viscous Ox blood coloured product comes with a pipette dropper 
and yes it stays that colour once applied to the skin, so be prepared 
and pre warned
as this isn't a mask you answer the front door in.

Despite its strange appearance, let me explain what it contains and what
you can expect from this concoction of alarming named ingredients

Ingredients:

30% Alpha Hydroxyl Acids (Glycolic/Lactic/Tartaric/Citric)
Alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA) exfoliate the skin's topmost surface for a 
brighter and more even appearance.

2% Beta Hydroxyl Acid (Salicylic Acid)
Beta hydroxyl acids (BHA) also exfoliate the skin with an extended function
 to help clear pore congestion.


These two combined give you a total of a 32% AHA/BHA solution,
which offers a deeper exfoliation to help fight visible blemishes 
and for improved skin radiance. 
The formula also improves the appearance of skin texture and reduces the 
look of fine lines with continued use. 


Hyaluronic Acid Crosspolymer
gives comfort to the skin

Black Carrot 
is an Antixidant

Tasmanian Pepperberry
The Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative helps to reduce irritation 
associated with acid use and (due to its plant origin) is what gives the product
it blood red colour, which by the way does change slightly according to
the season of harvest.

Vitamin B5
Helps with the healing 

It's comforting to know that whilst all of the above work their magic on the skin 
that a pH of 3.6 is maintained allowing the acids to perform at their optimum
whilst reducing irritation, which can be a problem for many users of AHA's
and BHA's.




Before I explain how to use and give you my thoughts and opinions on this product 
The Ordinary do issue this note/warning

This formula contains a very high concentration of free acids. 
We recommend use only if you are an experienced user of acid exfoliation 
and your skin is not sensitive.

Contraindications: 
This formula should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin.

Sunburn Alert: 
This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity
 to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. 
Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while 
using this product.

I must make mention here that I do not have a sensitive skin.
This was my first use of an acid peel and despite having a beauty therapy
background, I did approach the use of this product with caution.

Directions:

Use ideally in the evening no more than twice a week
(I kept to my rule of thumb of once a week)

 This product is applied to a clean face and do not use on wet skin.
This low-viscosity solution is intended to be used as a masque. 

Apply evenly across face and neck using your fingertips. 
Leave on for no more than 10 minutes. 
(I initially left on my skin for 5 minutes and then slowly increased 
to 10 minutes, once I was assured that my skin felt comfortable.
As the 10 minutes approaches I can feel my skin comfortably tingle, but do 
not be tempted to leave on for longer than 10 minutes)

Rinse with lukewarm water.

 Avoid the eye contour and contact with eyes both during application and rinse off.

For me this product didn't WOW me straight away, due to the fact that I was 
"treading" carefully for several applications.
I was experimenting with both the timings and thickness of application 
and once I had my own personal "settings" for this mask I really
enjoyed using and, best of all, the results it gave.
My skin feels even smoother and looks more radiant 
and this type of chemical peel has elevated my weekly exfoliation routine to 
the next level
and I now find myself alternating between my usual exfoliators/scrubs 
and this peeling solution and my skin is loving me for it.
It really is a 10 minute facial.


The Ordinary 
AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution 
30ml

R
Prices vary
There are several websites that sell The Ordinary in South Africa
just Google, but stock availability seems to be an issue.

$
12.30

£
6.30




No comments:

Post a Comment