25 August 2014

MY HAIR DETOX

Having been a huge fan of good salon hair products for as long as I can remember, 
recently put my hair through a "Conditioner Detox"...
(not sure if there is such a thing but there is now).

Considering that I am in my mid 50's I realized that I have bombarded my hair, for over 30 of those years, with treatments of all kinds. Even though my hair is trimmed and highlighted every six weeks I have an obsession, as I think most women have, with keeping my hair in tip top condition in order to counteract the damaging effects from both chemical and heat treatments. Even though I spend a fortune on my hair products, I never really question the amount that I spend, as in my mind, they are all needed and doing my hair "good".

I had noticed for some months that my hair was feeling soft, but also heavy and looked flat and lank very quickly after styling, but my mental reasoning for this due to either age,menopause,change of products and possibly the fact that my hair was longer and therefore heavier and straighter, not at any stage did I consider that I was overloading my hair with conditioning and treating products, as they all pretty much claim to not make you hair feel heavy or oily. I agree with their marketing claims for the products being used on an individual basis,but the layering of several products, as most of us do, I believe can lead to an "overload"!

It recently took an empty conditioner bottle in my shower to make me "wake-up" to the fact that I may have been over conditioning. 
I cannot ever..remember not using a conditioner after washing my hair, so getting out of the shower without using on this occasion filled me with absolute dread, as to the thought of how I will get a comb through my long, highlighted, tangled locks.
Careful towel drying and a wide toothed comb did the trick, followed by my usual use of a hair dryer and my Ghd.The only product that I used other than my shampoo was the Kerastase Nectar Thermique heat protector. I was shocked by the results of no conditioner, as my hair had volume and a lightness to it that I hadn't experienced for years, which proves to me that over conditioning was the cause. 

I have since washed my hair "conditioner" free..three more times and my "Conditioner Detox" has been relatively easy and successful. I am now going to re introduce my treatments slowly whilst being mindful that my hair does need a break every now and then. Now I am not recommending this for everyone,but if you recognize some of the same issues that I have described, then maybe you also need to detox your locks.


Some of my current products that I use 2-3 times a week

Me "Detoxed" Hair





2 comments:

  1. What an interesting post! Thanks Hazel.
    Definitely something I am going to give a try. I can't imagine not using conditioner but I do think hair can use a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle I have now not conditioned my hair for 4 washes and all is still good,but I think I will give it a treat next wash!

    ReplyDelete