22 April 2013

COLGATE OPTIC WHITE {REVIEW}




We cannot help but notice, when someone has a beautiful white smile and we also can't help, but have some twinges of envy....a sure way of getting that mouth full of pearly white teeth, is to have them professionally whitened, which can cost thousands of rands, so where does that leave the rest of us who cannot afford to have the professionals make our dreams of having that white dazzling smile come true? Don't despair as there are affordable home whitening kits and treatments available, but do they really deliver on their claims?Colgate Optic White is one such range, that can be bought from supermarkets and chemists.




Manufactures Claims:


COLGATE ® OPTIC WHITE™ TOOTHPASTE
Sparkling Mint
75ml R15.99

New Colgate® Optic White Toothpaste delivers:
One shade whiter after one week
Advanced formula with whitening accelerators
Fluoride for cavity protection

New
OPTIC WHITE™ MOUTHWASH
500mls R46.99

New Colgate® Optic White Mouthrinse effectively whitens teeth
and freshens breath by:
Reducing yellow stains to restore natural whiteness
Preventing tartar build-up which discolours teeth

For Optimal Results
THE OPTIC WHITE® TOOTHBRUSH.
R43.99

For optimal whitening results, use a Colgate® 360°® Optic White® Toothbrush. It helps whiten your teeth in two important ways:
Whitening cups. These soft rubber cups are designed to hold toothpaste to more effectively
remove surface stains for a whiter smile.
Polishing bristles. Help whiten teeth by polishing away surface stains and clean hard-to-reach areas for a full
white smile.


I tested both the toothpaste and the mouthwash for the recommended 7 days. I didn't buy their toothbrush, as I have an electric brush, which in my experience is far more thorough than any manual one! Also I understand that for optimal results you are recommended to use the the Optic White toothbrush.

I personally found the toothpaste to be quite ineffective, not only in its claims of making your teeth "one shade whiter after one week", but also I found the taste of the "sparkling mint" quite difficult to palete twice a day and left your mouth feeling far from freshly brushed or sparkling!
Unfortunately the mouthwash fared no better, in fact it left my mouth with a feeling of foaming baking soda, which was very unpleasant.

I tried not to have any great expectations of getting whiter teeth in one week, after all, the three products only retail for under R100, but I was hugely disappointed that both products underperformed in regards to the normal basic functions of a toothpaste and mouthwash.
I couldn't wait for my trial week to be over, so I could literally ditch the "Optic White" products and revert back to my Colgate Maxfresh with fresh strips and my Listerine mouthwash, which in my opinion are far more effective.....

So it seems like we do get "taken in" by the advertising and the product claims or at least I do, but I wonder how many customers actually return products for a refund when they do not deliver!
Very few I suspect, as our investment is only a few rands, so we "let it go". However in comparison, if a consumer bought an expensive Anti Ageing regime and it didn't live up to the advertised claims... you can be sure that they would return to "air" their disappointment and possible demand a refund!
Makes you think doesn't it....

As for my Optic White products they have been tossed in the bin, as even my kids and hubby didn't enjoy the taste enough to finish the product..what a waste of money....maybe I should lift them out and take them back to Pick n Pay for a refund....then again it's all too much hassle.....maybe there lies a story for another blog! What's good for one should be good for another!



No comments:

Post a Comment