22 July 2018

THE ORDINARY HYALURONIC ACID 2% + B5 {REVIEW}

Having already posted 3 of my 4 reviews on The Ordinary products that
 I bought last year, I thought it was about time I posted my opinions
on their Hyaluronic Acid 2% +B5.

This post has been sitting in my drafts folder for months, not because I'd
forgotten about it,like I have on occasion,it was due to me wanting to give this 
serum another chance to impress me...



I don't think I have given any product so many 2nd chances as this one.

The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5

Initially I didn't enjoy it, but after reading so many glowing reports I re-visited
it several times, hoping that I would see and experience what
others were raving about.



Just to give you a brief overview of Hyaluronic Acid in general and why it's hailed 
as the "wonder" ingredient.
It naturally occurs in the body and has the ability to hold 
1000 times its own weight in water.
This gentle Humectant ingredient has the ability to draw moisture into the 
skins cells and retain hydration throughout the day, whilst also 
preventing moisture loss.
As the skin cells are plumped up (similar to a sponge absorbing water)
it not only gives the skin a more plumped and hydrated appearance 
but more importantly for me it quickly smooths out fine lines.
Hyaluronic Acid is amazing because it can be used by all skin types 
and ages and should be included in everyones skin care regimes,
including oily skin types.
All skins benefit from hydration...

It can also be used alongside other ingredients like Vitamin C,AHA's and Retinols.

I personally have always seen the benefits of using either HA serums or
products that include HA and I know my skin responds well to its inclusion,
unfortunately I found this particular brand to be rather underwhelming.




The Ordinary HA 2% is combined with Vitamin B5 which 
enhances surface hydration.

The Ordinary do however have a side note about HA on their website;
" Hyaluronic Acid is found in the skin naturally but its natural function within the skin is not hydration. Many products have used HA to claim hydration benefits, but HA is too large of a molecule to penetrate the skin and instead sits on the surface and can draw moisture out of the skin making the surface feel soft and hydrated temporarily. This formula uses three forms of HA with varying molecular weights, as well as an HA crosspolymer, to offer multi-depth hydration and visible plumping without drawing water out of the skin solely to improve temporary surface hydration".
I was aware of the above "almost reversal" effect that some HA products can
have on hydration, yet I've personally not experienced it with any others, 
however this was one of the reasons that I don't like this product from 
The Ordinary.

I found the texture of this oil free, water based gel serum to be smooth
when I initially applied, but it soon turned
extremely tacky and sticky after a minute or so of application.
This serum can be used AM & PM either alone or under moisturisers.

Now I always advocate the "Less is More" approach to product application,
so I adjusted the amount I applied several times, but nothing seemed to
make any difference in terms of the feel on my skin.

Not only did I not enjoy the texture, but my skin seemed to feel drier with use,
exactly what The Ordinary said (in their side note above)
of other competitors products incorporating HA.

The Ordinary is a no frills, affordable line of skincare, which I'm all for,
I found the product though to be rather simple and unpolished and personally
 I'm not wanting to comprise on the effectiveness of a product, 
just for a cheap price.
After saying all of the above,you can't really afford not to give
this product a try, as it could just work wonders for your skin...

I was obviously "missing something" about this product, but that's what's great
about this industry
 "every skin is different" 

Having now completed all 4 reviews on my experiences with 
The Ordinary products I'm very happy to have finally moved this last review from
my drafts folder...





THE ORDINARY 
HYALURONIC ACID 2% + B5
30ml

R
240
Available in SA via 3rd Party websites


£
5.90


$
10.90


Let me know in the comments below if you have tried any of
The Ordinary 
products and what you think...

1 comment:

  1. I adore this serum and am on my 4th bottle. I apply it, spritz my face with a hydrating mist and leave it all to absorb, then go in with my moisturiser as per usual. I also only use about 4 drops in total. I use it morning and night, and adore it!
    https://sugarspiceblog.co.za/

    ReplyDelete