5 September 2012

BLONDIE GOES TO THE BARNYARD


I am going to be very honest with you, theatre is not my scene and I was not looking forward to seeing the latest show SPECIAL STARS at the Barnyard Theatre Gateway last night! I have seen a few shows there before and generally I have come away having enjoyed the music and the evening.
However it was pouring with rain, which is not the "norm" in Durban and "Durbanites" don't go out in the rain, so I could have very easily stayed at home and had a nice relaxing foam bath.To fuel my dread of the evening more, the show was promising to be 
"A South African Musical Journey"
This sounded like it was going to be a riveting evening I thought....I won't be able to understand the Afrikaans vocals and what do I know about South African music anyway? 
We go armed with our sparse Picnic basket but food can be ordered from inside the theatre and drinks must be purchased from their well stocked bar.The doors open at 6.30pm enabling you to eat and drink pre the show which starts at 8pm sharp.
As usually we are always on "minutes", which did nothing to make me any more enthusiastic about the evening!

The show takes you through the last "40 something" years of South African music starting with an Afrikaans hit "Ag Pleez Deddy" and guess what? I knew the song, just a "fluck" I thought, so onto the next song and the next and the next....and to my horror I recognised every one! 

Hits like:
Master Jack
Man on the Moon
Paradise Road
Scatterlings of Africa
Ipi Ntombi
African Dream
Jabulani

Ok.. I sat and kept my thoughts to myself "Why was I recognising all these songs when  I was so adamant before hand that I wouldn't know any of them...
Then I had an "Oprah Light bulb" moment...and found I was telling myself to
"Catch a wake up Blondie, you were an import from the UK over 30 years ago, so why would I not know these songs, as this is where I have lived and listened to this music on the radio" 
Not only did I recognise but I enjoyed each song, even the Afrikaans numbers...lol.

How could I best describe the evening and the show well I will leave it to the press release which sums it up best!

Special Stars is a celebration of South African music that will not only lift your spirit but get you moving to the rhythm of the beat and the beauty of the unique sound of South Africa

The cast were all SPECIAL STARS in their own way and a hit with the males in our party was a sexy blonde Sax player...
It was a high energy, fun and entertaining show from start to finish, so if you do not like to participate with lots of clapping and singing along, then this is not for you, but it's a pity as the SPECIAL STARS is really worth seeing.
The show runs until the 7th October 2012
For further info click on the link below.


1 comment:

  1. This is what happens when you creep past 50...nanna naps..... theatre whats next golf!

    Sounds like a good show

    ReplyDelete