2 January 2013

LITTLE HAVANA

Birthdays are always a good reason to go out for dinner,not that I ever need a reason! Be that as it may, it was my birthday a couple of weeks ago and off we trot to have dinner at Little Havana a Cuban styled restaurant in the Granada Centre in Umhlanga...We have eaten there before, but it was some months ago and my hubby knew that I have been wanting to go back ever since.

One of the problems I often find, is that we eat out at a restaurant and have a really good meal, yet some how the return is never as good as that first visit! Is it that we want a duplicate evening which comprises of not only the food experience, but the conversation or the atmosphere of the venue on that particular evening? And this is what we can never replicate, therefore we feel as though it wasn't as enjoyable as the first time?
Whatever it is, I didn't want Little Havana to let me down!

The restaurant is on the first floor and has a seated area inside and a veranda area,which on a warm balmy evening is very pleasant to sit out and eat...oh! and people watch...
Little Havana Umhlanga has only been around since March 2012 , but it has already built up an excellent culinary reputation.

Little Havana is about enjoying grills and seafood and matching these with the very best of local wines.Havana's in-house butchery is where their free-range hormone-free meats are processed and aged.

They have a good selection of starters including dishes like:

NORWEGIAN SALMON & SHRIMP FISHCAKES R 50
coriander, ginger, chilli, soy
ROASTED MARROW BONES R 42
crostini, parsley & caper salad

On both occasions I opted out of the starters and opted for their speciality of the house mains:

CHAR GRILLED STEAK, BÉARNAISE R 125
300g sirloin, rocket, shoestring fries

On my first visit the steak was delicious and the aging of the meat could certainly be tasted.....however on my recent visit the steak was just as good, but unfortunately I had an edge of fat that constituted nearly a third of my steak, so therefore was not edible. My complaint was handled by the manager very efficiently and professionally.The Bernaise sauce was creamy,yet light and not too heavy.

My hubby ordered another one of the chefs specialities, which he said was also very tasty and enjoyable.

FILLET ON THE BONE (500g) R 145
mash, wilted spinach, your choice of sauce

A desert is always a must for me and I can highly recommend their Creme Brûlée R35

The menu does cater for vegetarians, but after all Cuba is a carnivores destination,as is Little Havana! The service is slick and the managers appear to be very "hands on"ensuring that this restaurant runs efficiently and professionally,which it does!

Did Little Havana disappoint on my second visit?

No! Despite my fat...the whole ambience and evening left me eager to go again...."sans" the holiday makers next time!

Having a birthday two weeks before Christmas has always meant that my hubby, has to get his act together and book several weeks in advance,which he did,but we were seated inside as all the "hot tables" we're booked long before...This is a popular restaurant, so booking is strongly advised!

Granada Centre,
16 Chartwell Drive,
Tel: +27 +31 561 7589
Fax: +27 +31 561 2872

info@littlehavana.co.za


Opening Times
7 days a week.

Lunch Hours: 12.00pm - 5.00pm
last order at 2.30pm

Dinner: 6.00pm to close
last order at 10.00pm

Don't forget to join me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter...click on the icons on the top of my blog!







No comments:

Post a Comment